Indian Agricultural Research Institute ( IARI )
Lord Curzon, the Viceroy of India with the generous donations from Henry Phipps of the USA had founded the Imperial Agriculture Research Institute in 1905 at Pusa, a village in the Darbhanga district of Bihar.
The main building at Pusa was named after its donor as the Phipps Laboratory. [PUSA stands for the donor of the Institute, Phipps of the USA].
There was a disastrous earthquake in 1936 and Pusa suffered heavily. After careful consideration the Government of India rebuilt the institute at New Delhi.
The transfer to New Delhi was completed by October 1936. The Marquees of Linlithgo, the then Viceroy of India, opened this Institutes in November 1936.
This Institute (IARI) in Delhi is popularly known as the Pusa Institute.
|Established||1st April 1905|
|Purpose||Agriculture research and Education|
|Ranking status in agriculture university, 2016-17||2nd|
|Among universities IARI NIRF ranking, 2017||15|
|Overall NIRF ranking,2017||24|
|Present director||Dr. A.K. Singh|
NIRF:- National Institutional Ranking Framework
- The journey of Indian Agricultural Research Institute(IARI), begin in 1905 at Pusa (Bihar) with the generous grant of £30,000 from an American philanthropist, Mr. Henry Phipps.
- The institute was then known as Agricultural Research Institute (ARI). ARI functioned with 5 departments namely Agriculture, Cattle Breeding, Chemistry, Economic Botany and Mycology. Meteorology unit was added in 1907.
- The name of ARI was changed to imperial Institute of Agricultural Research in 1911 and, in 1919 it was renamed as Imperial Agricultural Research Institute.
- Due to massive earthquake on 15th January 1934, the institute was shifted to Delhi on 29th July 1936.
- After independence, the institute has been renamed as Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI).During the 50s, the advancement of scientific disciplines constituted the core program and provided the base for its fast expansion in the 1960’s and 1970’s.
- Indian Agricultural Research Institute, attend the status of a Deemed university in the year 1958.
The green revolution that brought smiles to millions of Indian bloomed from the fields with the development of famous wheat varieties which contributed an estimated on billion tones of addition production.
As the mother of several ICAR institutions, Indian Agricultural Research Institute Continues to be the leading institution for Agricultural Research, Education and Extension in the country.The present campus of the institute is a self-contained sylvan Complex spread over an area of about 500 hectares (approx. 1250 acres).
Currently, the institute has 20 division, 5 multi-disciplinary centres situated in Delhi, 8 regional station, 2 off-season nurseries, 3 All India coordinated research projects with headquarters at IARI and 10 national centres functioning under the all India co-ordinated Research project.